Rich Karlgard of Forbes had a column in March about Donald Trump’s “emperor” style of leadership and how it no longer works. It appeals to his supporters b/c Trump comes across as confident and decisive on reality TV, but in real life his style has many short-comings. The column is short and a great read:
I of course related it to JVM b/c we used to be far too “top down” in our management style and we suffered for it. Mortgage and real estate teams need an all-inclusive style of leadership for several reasons:
1. Too much info: There is far too much information surfacing for one person to absorb and digest. Leaders need input from everyone.
2. Leaders are not in touch with market as much as team-members. I am 53 while most of our team is much younger and far more attuned to the whims and desires of most home-buyers. Our approach to marketing used to miss the mark often when we were too top down.
3. Team-members are smarter. If you hire correctly, your team-members should be smarter than the boss and that collective wisdom proves invaluable over time – as long as everyone is encouraged and allowed to contribute.
4. Talented people won’t work for authoritarians. Smart and talented people need autonomy, and they want to contribute. They will naturally drift to companies or leaders who give them what they want, and it is not just money.
Founder/Broker | JVM Lending
(855) 855-4491 | DRE# 01524255, NMLS# 335646