< Back to JVM's Blog

Pending Divorce? Disclose It & Need Signed Decree; OR Get Quitclaim

This comes up so often that it is worth repeating. When a borrower has a pending divorce that is not yet finalized, he will have to get a judge-signed and recorded divorce decree or separation agreement before his loan can close.

There are no exceptions. If getting the signed decree is several months down the road (more likely than not), borrowers might not want to disclose the pending divorce. The non-borrowing spouse, however, will have to be willing to sign a quitclaim.

This of course requires the soon-to-be-exes to be on friendly terms (not always the case).

Jay Voorhees
Founder/Broker | JVM Lending
(855) 855-4491 | DRE# 01524255, NMLS# 335646