What Are ITIN Loans?
ITIN loans, also known as ITIN mortgage loans, are a type of home loan available to individuals with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). These loans are designed to help non-U.S. citizens, who may not have a Social Security number, to purchase a home. But what exactly is an ITIN number, and how can you get one?
How To Get An ITIN Number
An ITIN number is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a Social Security Number (SSN).
To apply for an ITIN, you need to complete a form called W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The IRS will then review your application and, if approved, issue your ITIN through mail.
What Are ITIN Mortgage Loan Programs?
ITIN mortgage loan programs are designed to make homeownership accessible to more people. These programs allow individuals with an ITIN number to apply for a mortgage loan, even if they don’t have a Social Security number. This opens up opportunities for non-U.S. citizens to buy a home and invest in their future.
How Do Mortgage Loans with an ITIN Number Work?
Mortgage loans with ITIN numbers work similarly to traditional mortgage loans. You’ll need to apply for the loan, provide necessary documentation, and go through a credit check. However, instead of providing a Social Security number, you’ll provide your ITIN number. This number will be used for all tax purposes associated with the loan.
Eligibility Requirements for ITIN Loans
To qualify for an ITIN mortgage loan, there are specific criteria that you must meet. These requirements ensure that you are in a stable financial position to take on a mortgage. Here are the eligibility requirements:
- Minimum 15% to 20% Down Payment: Most ITIN programs require 25% down, but at JVM Lending we only require 20% down. NOTE: If you live outside California, you may qualify for a 15% down payment! Get in touch with JVM Lending for more information and details.
- Minimum Credit Score of 660: A minimum credit score of 660 is typically required to qualify for an ITIN mortgage loan. This credit score requirement ensures that you have a history of responsibly managing and repaying debt.
- Two-Year Employment History: You must have a stable employment history for at least the past two years. This shows lenders that you have a consistent income source to repay the loan.
- Two Years of U.S. Credit History: Lenders need to assess your creditworthiness. Having a U.S. credit history of at least two years gives them a clear picture of your financial behavior and reliability.
- Valid ITIN Card or IRS Letter: You must possess a valid ITIN card or a letter from the IRS that clearly shows your ITIN number. This is a crucial requirement as the ITIN number is used instead of a Social Security number for tax purposes associated with the loan.
- Valid Passport: A valid passport is required as a form of identification. This helps lenders verify your identity during the loan application process.
- Tax Returns for the Past Two Years Using ITIN Number: You must have filed U.S. tax returns for the past two years using your ITIN number. This requirement ensures that you have a history of income that can support the mortgage payments.
Remember, each lender may have additional requirements or variations on these basic eligibility criteria. It’s always a good idea to reach out to potential lenders to understand their specific requirements for ITIN mortgage loans.
What Are ITIN Mortgage Loan Rates?
ITIN mortgage loans rates can vary based on several factors, including your credit score, the amount of the loan, and the term of the loan. Remember, even a small difference in interest rates can add up to a significant amount over the life of your loan.
While ITIN mortgage loans provide a valuable opportunity for non-U.S. citizens to purchase a home, it’s important to note that the interest rates for these loans are typically a few percentage points higher than those for conventional loan products. This is due to the perceived risk associated with lending to individuals who may not have a traditional credit history or Social Security number. However, despite the slightly higher rates, ITIN loans remain a viable and often essential option for many aspiring homeowners. It’s crucial to consider this factor when budgeting for your home purchase and to consult with a trusted lender like JVM Lending to fully understand the terms of your loan.
Please note that the interest rates for these ITIN loans tend to be a few percent higher than the typical Fannie Mae loans that we and most lenders offer.
ITIN loans, however, are temporary solutions for borrowers who would otherwise not qualify for a mortgage but who still want to participate in the American dream of homeownership.
When you are able to qualify for a more traditional FHA or Fannie Mae mortgage, we will be happy to refinance you out of the ITIN mortgage. This is something we have done numerous times in fact for many of our clients.
Contact us to ask about current ITIN mortgage loan rates. We can also provide you with a complete ITIN mortgage loan scenario for your homebuying goals.
View mortgage rates for
December 7, 2023
View mortgage rates for December 7, 2023
Frequently Asked Questions About ITIN Loans
Can I get an ITIN mortgage loan if I don’t have a credit history?
Yes, some lenders offer ITIN mortgage loans to borrowers without a credit history. However, these loans may come with higher interest rates and additional requirements.
Can I refinance my ITIN mortgage loan?
Yes, you can refinance your ITIN mortgage loan. Refinancing can help you secure a lower interest rate, reduce your monthly payments, or change your loan term.
Can I use an ITIN loan to purchase an investment property?
Typically, ITIN loans are designed for owner-occupied properties. However, some lenders may allow you to use an ITIN loan to purchase an investment property.
Take the Next Step with JVM Lending Today!
When it comes to securing your ITIN mortgage loan, it is extremely important to choose a mortgage lender that is experienced and has already helped hundreds of homebuyers secure ITIN home financing. At JVM Lending, we understand the intricacies of ITIN mortgage loans and are committed to guiding you through every step of the process.
With our extensive experience and dedication to customer service, we ensure a smooth, stress-free journey towards homeownership for everyone. Don’t wait another day to make your dream home a reality. Contact JVM Lending today at (855) 855-4491 and let us help you secure your ITIN mortgage loan. Your future home awaits!