The most recent How I Built This Podcast was my favorite one yet. It featured Herb Kelleher, the founder of Southwest Airlines.
A few takeaways:
1. He lives on cheese crackers, Wild Turkey (the booze, not the bird, but a Thanksgiving reference nonetheless), and cigarettes. And, he is now 85 and still going strong. So, take that Paleo crowd! :)
2. He started the airline in 1967, but other airlines used political pressure to keep him on the ground for 4 years! He kept fighting against enormous odds, and didn’t give up.
3. Airfares were insanely overpriced b/c the government regulated airfares to “protect” consumers. Consumers were not really protected though until airlines were deregulated in 1978, and prices plummeted.
4. Herb kept his law practice on the side and worked 100 hours a week until 1981, b/c he loved what he did (and drank a lot of Wild Turkey).
Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at JVM Lending.
Jay Voorhees, Heejin Kim, Lindsey Hansen, Tiffany Nordgren, Erin Piper, Jenna Armstrong, Heidi Ameli, Diandra Prutton, Madeline Elbgal, Chingchi Yu, Meg Adams, Mary Barker, Denis Cohen, Nicholas Saenz, Denise Truono, Beau McGlasson, and Darcy Musso.
Founder/Broker | JVM Lending
(855) 855-4491 | DRE# 01524255, NMLS# 310167